Thursday, April 2, 2009

It is disheartening that after 28 years of living I cannot come up with a single topic about which I can provide original input. I suppose I've always been more of a fan than a creator. But in the interest of completing this course, I've broken my potential topics into three categories:


  • Hobbies

    I've toyed with a few things, mostly photography and stained glass. Stained glass is the front runner at the moment, as it is obviously quite visual, and I have a couple of pieces that I made that I could include. There are also plenty of lovely pieces in Philly that I could photograph and add. A Google Image search for "stained glass" brings up all kinds of lovely hits, and I'm sure I could find some that I could legally use for background or icons. The downside to this choice is, besides my experiences as a novice and two pieces, I don't know what I can really add to the general knowledge base.



      Some helpful sites:


    • http://www.stainedglass.org/

    • http://www.spectrumglass.com/

    • and one local: http://www.garybronsonstainedglass.com/



  • Travel

    Travel and seeing new places is my only real passion, and I've been lucky enough to do a fair bit. I could discuss the ins and outs of backpacking, or my time living with a family in Mexico. I'm not sure how much interest this would have for people who don't know me, though, and it's been a few years since I really got out there.



    • http://www.ricksteves.com/

    • http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

    • http://www.couchsurfing.com/



  • Media Interests

  • I have one of those memories that can recall a bit actor in an episode of Law and Order from 2004, and I love discussing movies, tv, music.... I'm not sure what specifically I would talk about, though - maybe tv shows that deserve more viewers, or the culture of fandom.



    • http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

    • http://www.avclub.com/content/home

    • http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/




Obviously I'm still pretty scattered as far as a final project topic is concerned. I hope this blog will help me to focus my interest.

10 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of stained glass. The links you provide show amazing pieces, but they all seem pretty advanced. I know nothing about the subject, but think it could be fun to try. I was wondering if you had considered making a site that could serve as an introduction to the subject. In addition to displaying your own work, maybe you could include basic patterns that a beginner could follow. I list of supplies needed or where to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Catherine says. I used to know someone who designed original stained glass. If you think it would help, I could try to dig up contact information for him. Let me know if you want me to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you mentioned television scholarship I remembered an artist who gave a lecture at Tyler a few years ago. He was hugely awkward and anti-social, and flat out told us all (hopeful future practicing artists) that he never would have gotten as far in his work if he didn't "hate everyone". So, it's kind of poetic justice that I cannot find his name or a link to any of his work at the moment. If I were smart I would have digitized my undergrad sketchbook notes by now.

    This artist might interest you a lot, though - he is male, from the West Coast, and if a celebrity had to play him in a movie Crispin Glover would be the clear and obvious choice. He watched and studied television his entire life, and made huge map drawings and a little genealogy of 'places' (television places, imaginary)- I remember Green Acres most clearly. For example, if a character on a Green Acres episode said something like "I'm going to the pharmacy down the road" he would plot out a best estimation of where the pharmacy is in relation to the farm. It's awfully hard to describe, too bad he didn't make more friends! There really must be a bio or something on him somewhere in these internets...I'll ask some of my people and see if anyone has a lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stained glass idea seems great! I guess I would be careful, however, if you decide to use a stained glass window as a background graphic. Because of the vast number of colors used in some of the examples on the Stainedglass.org website, it seems as though it might be difficult to find a font color that would not clash with at least part of a stained-glass background. Still, if you find an example that is workable, it would really add to the aesthetic value of the site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a bunch of stained glass studios in and around Philly - my coworker used to work at one up North Philly somewhere. It would be interesting to visit, if possible, and really see how they're made! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case this helps you, there is a stained glass studio in Mt. Airy.

    Majeki's Stained Glass Works
    7212 Germantown Avenue
    Philadelphia PA 19119

    215-242-1586

    I think stained glass is a great idea for a website - the subject lends itself to beautiful photographs and also to a wide range of displays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think stained glass would look especially good with a really somber grey, white and black colour palette, where the colour comes from the art itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the stained glass idea. Would you focus on stained glass itself or as Catherine suggested, stained glass projects, supplies, etc. Definitely be careful using images as backgrounds as they can make text challenging to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think one way to narrow down the topic or cover a more specialized part of it would be to highlight stained glass artists or pieces in and around Philadelphia. That way you could take your own photos and build a website for people in this region who could go and look at the pieces you detail. I think this has the potential to be a really unique topic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the stained glass topic gives you several options: an introduction for beginners, links for stained glass fans, valuable links that other stain glass artists would find useful, and a showcase for your own work.

    ReplyDelete